Sunday 5 July 2015

The Beginning Of Wisdom





In the middle of a wonderful sermon at my church yesterday the pastor reminded us of the verse - "The Fear of The Lord Is The Beginning of Wisdom".

I've heard this verse so many times over the years and always took it to mean that I should fear God in terms of ensuring that I obey His commandments and instructions so as not to upset Him; and hence in order to please Him. 

But the Holy Spirit opened my eyes to something far more significant about this verse. He told me to change 'fear' to 'Love' and to put the onus to love on Him and not me.

In other words understanding God's Love for us is the beginning of Wisdom. 

This has many ramifications. Let's look at a couple of them this morning. 

1. When we understand how much God loves us (Unconditionally) we no longer live daily in fear of upsetting or getting on the wrong side of Him; Thereby freeing our minds and hearts from fear, guilt, and condemnation. 

2. When God directs us to do or not do certain things He isn't doing so because He's a task master but because He loves us and wants the very best for us. 

So next time you hear that soft voice within you urging you not to do something or to do something, see it not as a stern test but as God's Love for you - wanting the very best for you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus for iamsegunakande.blogspot.com