Friday 28 August 2015

Buhari's Cabinet - Northern Hegemony or Tribalistic Paranoia?


                                                      

I woke up with a rather heavy heart this morning; a heart burdened by both our ever decreasing GDP growth rate and the inevitable grave consequences on the lives of millions of people; and the very clear and present danger of Nigeria going full circle again.

But as the writing side of my brain is only just beginning to warm up again after a few weeks rest, permit me to leave the mammoth topic that is the economy till next week.

Nigeria going full circle again??

What am I talking about?

Let's go back a few hours.



Before leaving my office yesterday evening I asked several people to give their thoughts on the President's latest appointments. The general view is that PMB is building a pro northern administration; that he is simply implementing a northern agenda.

Try as I might to remain objective I couldn't help muttering the following words as I entered my car;

"Are we ever going to get away from this tribalistic nonsense?"

Why such sentiments?

1. If the president is indeed driving a predominantly northern agenda then we may well be going full circle again - everything north until the next elections; then if a southerner wins we get everything south. The unfortunate consequence is a very vicious cycle of suspicion and resentment that invariably leads to a distinct lack of national socio-economic progress.

Or

2. If he isn't, and has simply appointed individuals that he believes to be competent and sincere enough to excel in their positions, then when will we stop shouting foul play whenever things don't go our way?

Either way, the 'tribalistic nonsense' persists; and that is my concern - and why I woke up feeling a little sombre this morning.

I'm extremely concerned that this nation will continue to go round in circles - either from one ethnic power block to another; or be constantly plagued by ethnic rivalry and suspicion.

Despite my concerns I've decided to give it time.

There are many positions still to be filled, and I am more than hopeful that PMB will put in place a government of truly federal character.

After-all bearing in mind the fact that the APC was put together in order to forge a party that represents the nation's federal character, surely the same PMB that continues to snub the senate president's advances as a result of the latter's inability to tow the party line will ensure that he at least walks in line with the federal nature of his party.

2 comments:

  1. I totally disagree!!!
    If Obama had appointed 27 black men, all from Chicago or the Mid West, what would you have said?!! Call a spade a spade! This is not any tribalistic stuff. this is calling out a situation whereby in such a diverse country, all he can find for the majority of these critical roles are people from a certain part of the country.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very divisive. Extremely so. Not a laughing matter in my view. Nigerians need to call him out on it. Which many are already doing. Let's not wait till it is too late.

    No woman on his list!! Nigerians arse not even seeing this. He went to the U.S and there was no single female on his team (oh apart from Oshiomole's wife). He really needs to be called out.

    ReplyDelete

Disqus for iamsegunakande.blogspot.com