Friday 13 March 2015

Security? What Security?



I spent much of yesterday wondering what this week's State of The Nation topic should be. I even went as far as asking one of my colleagues for suggestions. But as a result of a busier than busy week his mind was as frazzled as mine was.

But as the day unravelled, this week's subject matter was to show it's ugly head in full force by about 4.50pm.

As I got back to my office in Lekki at around 4.50 pm yesterday, I heard the sound of what I thought were fire crackers. But on seeing people running for their lives in my direction I realised that this was not a case of bored youths making a nuisance of themselves. The banging sounds I was hearing were gunshots. Armed robbers were raiding one of my favourite bank branches- FCMB's Admiralty Way branch- known for it's aesthetic allure and excellent customer service.

Apparently these dastardly individuals arrived by boat - right in front of the police base by the roundabout.

A young lady was apparently shot in the head, two police men on board a UN bus were killed, and several others were injured. So very very sad.

Not only is it incredible that these guys had the audacity to carry out their raid in broad daylight, but they also had the effrontery to alight right beside the police check-point at the Admiralty Way roundabout.

To make matters worse I hear that the police were nowhere to be seen during the raid - which lasted for at least 35 minutes.

I woke up feeling so sad this morning. Infact I'm shedding tears as I write this. I know many of the people that work in that branch - so kind, loving, and always so helpful. I can't imagine the trauma they're going through right now. I thank God that none of them was hurt in any way.

And what of those that lost their lives? I pray that their souls rest in peace, and that our good God comforts and strengthens the loved ones left behind.

My tears are also for the state of Nigeria. The young gentleman I buy my newspapers from on my way to work was so dejected this morning. His eyes and words spoke of a man that has lost all manner of hope for this country.

"Sir, there is no security in this country. Nobody cares sir. Nobody cares. There's no security again in this country."

He kept repeating those words over and over again. I felt a need to console him by remaining there in silence for a few minutes - just to let him know that he's not alone.

What I find so sadly ironic is that the president came to Lagos yesterday. So as the president visits Lagos, one of it's highbrow neighbourhoods is viciously attacked by armed robbers?!

This speaks volumes of the state of this nation.

1. There isn't an ounce of fear in the hearts or minds of vagabonds these days. They know they can do whatever they want and get away with it. These armed robbers were not even chased away. They simply carried out their business and left when they were ready. No hastle, no stress, no fuss.

2. Because the president is in town the whole of the police force is directed to his beck and call; and as a result the rest of the city is left to the dogs??!!

If this was America and there had been such and incident whilst President Obama was visiting New York, he would most likely have returned to the city to pay his condolences as well as comfort the citizens.

But alas - this is not America. We do not live in a country where the leaders care about the people. We live in a country in which the leaders care only about the balance of their bank accounts.

Questions

1. What gives armed robbers the confidence to raid what is supposedly a highly guarded area in broad daylight?

2. Where were the police? Aren't they usually stationed at the roundabout?

3. An armed attack on the Lekki Phase One neighbourhood via the river has occurred before. Was anything done to prevent it happening again? Will anything be done now?

This may seem like a small incident. But it speaks volumes of some huge problems.

- Zero Security

- A Totally Inept Police Force

- A Government That Doesn't Care About The Plight of The People

- A Nation In Which There Is No Respect or Value For Life

- A Nation In Which Dire and Abject Poverty is
driving Elements of Society to Violent Means of Survival.

At the root of it all lies Corruption.

The current State of Our Nation is summed up in these three phrases;

1. Mired in Corruption

2. Bereft of any semblance of Security

3. A Devil May Care Government

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus for iamsegunakande.blogspot.com