Friday 21 August 2015

Buhari's Report Card: So Far So Hmmmmm


The roads are free, light is back, and I haven't seen a petrol queue at my local station for at least three weeks!!!

Could things really be improving?

Or is light here because the rains are back, and as with the roads, petrol stations less busy because of the holidays?

Whatever the case the environment seems so much less stressful than it did a few weeks ago.

President Buhari has now been in office for 79 days.

Here's how I score him so far on the issues I voted him in for.


Electricity: 8 / 10

Whether right or wrong I have to give him an eight out of ten for Electricity; for the simple fact of the matter is that BB (Before Buhari) light was non existent.  But since he's come in electricity has improved beyond all possible recognition.

Education: 1/ 10

I've given him one point, simply because I have to assume that something is being done - surely??
Aside from that hope / assumption I have no other grounds for scoring him any higher.


Social Welfare 0 / 10

Mr. Femi Adesina can continue to tell us how terrible a mess the nation's coffers were in when they arrived until the cows come home. But that does sod-all to put food on the table. The prices of food stuffs continue to increase, and the general cost of living now seems like a never-ending punishment for the majority of people. 

Even the faintest sounds of a plan being implemented to improve matters would enable many, if not all, to stomach the inconvenience in knowledge of a definitely better tomorrow. But the longer the silence continues the more bitter and acute the pain becomes.

The Economy 2 /10


The only slight respite of the past few months has been the slight (so slight one feels faint at the thought of it) strengthening of the naira against the dollar. Many feel this is as a result of the CBN's directive that banks should no longer allow dollar cash deposits.  They may be right. But personally I think this new directive is shamefully inconvenient for so many people - myself included.

The economy is more or less at a standstill. Many observers have shifted their stance from 'let's give him time' to 'maybe this man actually doesn't know what he's doing'. Can you blame them? As a result of zero communication on plans and policies we're clueless as to whether or not anything is happening.


Anti- Corruption 8 /10

Whatever people may say, Buhari's will to tackle corruption cannot be questioned. Because many people wanted culprits jailed instantly it seems as though very little is happening. But be rest assured that there is plenty afoot in this particular area.


Sanity 9 / 10

The one good thing that has occurred as a result of the harsh economic terrain is that it has forcefully opened our eyes to our various excesses.

Let's be honest people, there are too many things we do that are completely unnecessary.  How far down the path of flagrant stupidity will our egos take us??

'Like what?' I hear you ask.

- Traveling to London, Dubai, SA or Us six or seven times a year for holidays, mini breaks, birthdays, weddings,  facials, and all manner of frivolities. 

- First / Business class travel at all costs; even on pain of insurmountable debts

- Designer brief cases

- Designer hand bags

- Designer clothes

- Traveling with nannies.

The list could go on and on.

The average middle class person in Europe or the US travels on holiday once a year.

We in Nigeria go maybe six or seven times a year in order to spend the same dollars and pounds that are destroying our naira.


Take myself for instance - I'm a bachelor, living on my own in a small apartment. I'm a total tidy freak, so even if I didn't have a cleaner I have absolutely no doubt my flat would be spotless at all times. And yet my cleaner comes in to clean my flat twice a week! Let's just say I didn't need anyone to tell me a few weeks ago that once a week is more than enough.

So it seems we're becoming a little more sober.

Change:  9 /10

There is most definitely a Change taking place in this nation.

From;
Excess to Austerity

Corruption to Accountability

Reckless to Watchful

Indifference to Care


Security:  3/10


I've given Mr. President 3 points for changing the service chiefs and promising to make the Nigerian Armed Forces powerful and effective again.

But the grim reality is that since he became President, over 1059 people have been killed by terrorist attacks (according yesterday's Punch Newspaper). That's an average of 13 a day!!


Communication 0/ 10

We are tired of hearing about how bad things were when the new administration arrived.

We are sick and tired of being lectured by Mr. Adesina.

We are disillusioned by the seeming lack of direction or agenda.

Mr. President, if you want your people to partner with you on this tortuous road of austerity then it is important you give us a little hope. In other words Yes, by all means continue the fight against corruption. Yes, let us know in no uncertain terms that there will be some pain before things get better. But then give us at least a glimpse of your plans and policies; outlining how they will turn the nation's presently miserable fortunes around.

Please Do Not Underestimate The Importance of Hope Mr. President.

So there we have it. I score Mr. President 40/90.

I have no doubt he is doing far better than the scores I've given him.
But I can only score what I see.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good read!

    However, I feel some of the scoring is premature, e.g. education can't be fixed in 79 days and since there's no minister for this yet, there's no traction so far.

    He will need to prioritise and cannot be seen to be tackling on all fronts.

    I learned a lot about the need for focus in '4 disciplines of Execution' book. The first discipline being: Focus on the Wildly Important.
    Basically saying it's best to focus on the 1 or 2 goals that will make a difference rather than trying to achieve lots of goals concurrently and subsequently nothing.

    I think he is doing quite good so far - given the complexity of this great nation. You may not agree with the goals he's focusing on, but personally I think he needs a bit more time and a strong / equally focused team to support him.

    Then we can start with the performance management.

    A bit of a long one, but I hope it makes sense at least.

    -----the end-----

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm, I think you are a little bit biased with your marks. I would go a little bit further with the marks though. Great Article Btw

    ReplyDelete

Disqus for iamsegunakande.blogspot.com