Friday 8 May 2015

You Just Can't Get Away From It



 There are times when I have so much to say - so many thoughts dying to get out; topics so juicy the excitement is enough to drive me over the edge. But as sure as night follows day there are also moments when very little stirs me to say or write about anything.

Writer's block is so very irritating.

I sensed I would have a mini Topic crisis as early as Tuesday morning. By Wednesday the slightest of panics had begun to rear its' small but nevertheless extremely ugly head. During such precarious hours I literally sift through newspapers in an attempt to find something, anything at all that takes my fancy. But after four months of political debating the thought of writing anything political was a complete turn-off.

Option two - assess the interesting conversations / gossip that one has overheard during the past one week.

Driving home after a 10km run on Wednesday evening (I just had to slip that in -so very proud of myself) I started to re-trace the comments / conversations I had heard or been involved in during the week. Such as the absurd rate at which marriages are breaking up in Nigeria at present - naaa - done that; even got the badge and the T shirt.

Or maybe that frightening comment I heard from a single lady, that 70% of girls driving SUVs in Lekki Phase One are mistresses; naaa - really couldn't care less about that one.

Or that more and more young ladies are being bought plush houses / apartments by married men. Naaa, nothing new; and besides, he or she without sin should cast the first stone.

Or maybe the one about how men are naturally designed to have more than one, or even several women. Naaa, old news, and a little tedious.

You may wonder what any of the above have to do with the State of Our Nation, but trust me, They Certainly Do; and in so many more ways than you can possibly imagine - be-it Morals, Principles, the state of our churches, what political leaders are doing with our stolen money ( the other day I heard of a young lady that was given a NGN6,000,000 cheque for services rendered), marriages, and the mindset of the young.

I know my own past so I never judge.  Nobody has a right to judge or look down on anyone. But I do yearn for a more Principled Society; a society in which money is not our god.

After about thirty minutes of conversation assessments I realised I hadn't moved an inch. You can imagine my frustration. Sweating profusely like a pregnant pig, and growing ever more familiar with what it may feel like to die of thirst in the Sahara desert; and yet here I was stuck in traffic by the Forte Petroleum station on the first roundabout at 8.30pm! Eight Flipping Thirty PM!!!

Then I realised - Bloody Petrol Scarcity!!

Not only are we denied petrol for our cars and generators but we're forced to sit in traffic for hours as a result of the chaotic queues!

Because there's no electricity these days most offices and houses are running permanently on diesel or petrol generators. So when there's no diesel or petrol to buy, chaos and panic take over.

All this as a result of a corrupt system in which the money that should have been used to pay oil companies has either gone into individuals' pockets or been used to buy votes.

Corruption literally affects every sphere of our lives. No matter how rich you are or how much you try to isolate yourself from what is going on around you, at some point you'll feel a Consequence of Corruption. There's simply no getting away from its' numerous claws.

Let's hope that the incoming government finds a way to seriously reduce corruption in this country.

This Nation Desperately Needs Some Sanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus for iamsegunakande.blogspot.com