Tuesday 21 July 2015

Sex For Targets




Below is a statement made by one of the female delegates of the MSEP (Master of Sales Executive Programme). 

"Before I started this course I really didn't like Sales. But now I quite like it, and I can see how it will help me later in life. But in truth I still don't want to be in Sales."


"But I don't understand. You pointed out a few minutes ago that you want to start your own business in a few years. Surely you can see by now that in order for you to successfully grow your business - especially in the early stages, you're going to need all the necessary Sales Skills," I replied.

She paused for a few seconds to ponder on my point, before replying;

"I still don't want a career in sales. And if that means I can't start my own business then so be it. I'm sorry but I'm not willing to be pressured into doing things I don't want to do because of targets."

"What things? " I asked.

"Pressure from men for sex," she replied.

Maybe I'm simply naive, but to say I was shocked is an understatement. 

Is this a strange occurrence? 

Or is it common in Sales? 

 

6 comments:

  1. I am surprised you were shocked about what she said, except you don't know much about business or sales target in Nigeria. In-fact, this particular issue is not just in Nigeria, I want to believe it happens in even the 'Most Professional and civilised Business world'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does happen in other markets but I'm pretty sure they have bodies in place that check for unprofessional and uncouth behaviours, therefore it is easier for them there. Nigeria!!! I fear to say otherwise. Your supervisor will even set the 'fine girls' for the 'big men'.

      Delete
  2. I don't think it is just about the ladies. Please focus on we the guys also. Infact I need guys to second me on this. I have my stories to tell but I'd rather just take it as part of the job as long as I deal with it professionally.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Answering your question, I don't think this is a strange occurrence. Some even after you have delivered the perfect pitch, they understand the need for them to buy your product/service will still 'try their luck and libido'. some will rather buy the same product from a man but not after making passes at the lady.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have had some of my team members bow out of the corporate world due to the unduly pressure of sex and targets. Some of them are doing so well in their businesses now with no pressure to conform to such. I wish something can be done about this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is not new to the ears that if you are in any kind of business that involves sales, even down to the grassroot business the sales person not considering the gender becomes a prey for the one who feels his/her help or money is needed. Especially in Nigeria the only difference is the personalities involved on both ends.

    ReplyDelete

Disqus for iamsegunakande.blogspot.com