Thursday 11 February 2016

The Trials of A Mohican In Nigeria



I often ask myself why I insist on keeping my mohican hairstyle; and no matter how many times the question pops up the answers are always the same.

1. I like this hairstyle

And

2. Doing my bit to help people to stop judging things on appearance alone.

Whilst discussing the endemic moral decay that has decimated authentic relationships and society in general a few days ago a friend of mine stated "the prettier the girl the more likely she's immoral."
Whilst I wouldn't quite go so far I can understand where he's coming from. Looks can indeed be very very deceiving. And there lies my point. If there's one major area of weakness we Nigerians possess it is our unfortunate penchant for judging everything and everyone by appearance.

Just as a great suit and tie doesn't guarantee anything resembling substance or intelligence on the inside, so too a slightly eccentric or non conventional appearance  doesn't mean the individual in front of you is any less serious or intelligent than you are.

But this isn't such a serious a piece as the first few paragraphs suggest. Rather I want to have a little giggle about the trials one goes through as a result of wearing a mohican.

Here are a few of my interesting experiences.


After meeting with the COO of a prospective partner a few weeks ago, I asked to see the CEO, who is not only a great friend but also like an older sister to me. As soon as she saw me she said
"Segun please cut this hair. You look like one of those hari krishna people. You won't get those billion dollar deals with this kind of hairstyle-o."

I must confess that because I look up to her, those comments shook me to my bones. In-fact I'm pretty sure I staggered precariously out of their office as against walking off in my usual swagger. So much did her comments affect me that I determinedly figured out a way to make it look flatter when needs be.


And there is a man I admire as an achiever, respect as a great man, and look up to as a father-like figure. As I cheerfully bowed to greet him many months ago at his son's birthday barbecue he blurted out, "Ahh, Akande, you too have done this thing?! But don't worry, there's another young man that had the same hairstyle. I told him to come and see me, and then I prayed for him. He soon cut it off. You'll be okay. Just come and see me when you have the time."

How else can one react to such a highly esteemed father figure but laugh along respectfully and vaguely convey that you'll attend for the necessary prayers?!

Whilst chatting outside church after a midweek service a few weeks ago the eleven year-old grandson of one of my late father's friends walked up to me and gave me a big hug. After the hug he looked at my hair and said, " Uncle I love your hair. I used to have the same style when I was young."

Chai!!!

4. But the piece de resistance must go to the senior vicar that led the service of my aunt's 75th birthday at the Anglican Church of Resurrection in 1004.

It was during my church's (Victory Sanctuary) fasting period; so when the senior vicar asked us to come for communion I happily obliged - choosing to break my fast a little earlier that day. Ever the gentleman I kept allowing others to go before me, until I found myself being the only person kneeling on the pew with hands outstretched, waiting eagerly if not a touch nervously to be served. As the vicar approached me I noticed his eyes were fixed squarely on one thing alone - the top of my head. He hesitated, then looked to the colleague on his right for assurance that this strange looking fellow kneeling before them was indeed waiting for communion and not somehow lost in transit on his way to a rave in Upminister. His colleague nodded as if to say, 'well, what's the worst that could happen?!' The senior vicar then gingerly took a couple of steps towards me and asked in bellowed voice, "are you here for communion?"

"Yes sir," I replied, now feeling a tad uncomfortable by the burning hole being etched into my back by the eagerly awaiting gazes of every pair of eyes in the congregation. Fortunately for me there were no more questions from the vicar. He proceeded to serve me without further ado.

After the service my cousin walked up to me and said, in total hysterics I might add, "Segs, for a moment there I thought he wouldn't serve you because of your hair. It was close-o."

But you know what?! There are also some very encouraging reactions. Such as the old lady that walked up to me a few weeks ago and said, "I really like your hairstyle. Makes you stand out. What do you do?"

"I'm a Sales Coach and an author," I replied.

She then smiled and looked me up and down again before saying, "I love it. Never be scared of looking different. Always be yourself."

And you know what?! For every twenty negative reactions or statements I may get, all I need to do is remember what that old lady said to remind me of the very reason I wear a mohican.

I love this hairstyle!  And I hope my courage (or foolishness - call it what you will) to wear it encourages more people to just be themselves.

4 comments:

  1. Segun dont worry ill soon join you

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'Segun is my friend, people like Lami wonder what could have brought us together. I guess he respects my energy levels and I respect his depth and passion for what he does which is being a sales coach especially at times like this where people and corporates choose to spend funds on other mundane things like bringing Amber Rose rather than spend on capacity building.

    Segun suddenly went the Mohican and ever since unleashed a war of attrition in his life. A war that is his constant struggle as he desperately tries to gain respect and legitimacy from a society that is so perverse to individuality and courage.

    I have watched Segun very closely ever since he went Mohican, I have seen him move confidently as he lovingly strokes his hair, I have also seen him caught within the throes of self doubt and at those times, he rushes to me for strength.

    Segun represents my struggle. A struggle to be different, a dare to be just me as against what the pretentious society expects of me. I am a 46 year old investment banker who should not dare put on earrings even though I will feel much more confident in my abilities with them on. An investment Banker who should hide his tattoos and come to work in stuck up suits and bow ties, even though I'd rather come in my jeans and sneakers.

    I ask what has my attire or my looks got to do with my capacity. Did we all see Steve jobs are we looking at Mark Zukerberg. These two just like thousands like them all over the world have changed the way we see ourselves in Just tattered shirts and jeans.

    The great Dictator Mobuto of Zaire was one of the most dapper men in the world and his well tailored suits did not stop him from being one of the most efficient killers the world has seen.

    Segun is bold, I envy him. Segun represents the strength of a nation, the biblical Samson single handedly taking on the Philistines and with his Mohawk crushing their ineptitude and showing them just what it means to be a man.
    I send a salute to the Mohican even as I lament my cowardice. I'll draw strength from the Mohican and look up to it the way an American looks at his National Flag on the daize with his Olympic Gold on his chest and his National Anthem being played to the consternation of lesser Nations.

    The Mohican to me stands as a symbol of strength, a symbol of courage and a symbol of creative individuality. So Segun till I garner enough courage to join you, stand strong

    ReplyDelete
  3. Segs I now even want to get closer to you. I have more respect for you now. But they call me crazy too. So it then almost becomes bird od the same feather flock together. Cheers mate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Segs I now even want to get closer to you. I have more respect for you now. But they call me crazy too. So it then almost becomes bird od the same feather flock together. Cheers mate.

    ReplyDelete

Disqus for iamsegunakande.blogspot.com