Friday 1 April 2016

A Conversation With God About Nigeria





God: "Aren't you going to pray before going to sleep?"

Me: "Nope. Not in the mood."

God: "Why not?"

Me: "Just not in the mood that's all."

Few minutes silence

God: " You seem a little upset. Is something wrong?"

Me: " Well, you're God, you should know."

God: "lol...yep, you're spot-on there my friend. But I still want you to tell me yourself."

Me: " Why?"

God: "Because I like chatting with you."

Me: "I'm really not in the mood for chatting tonight, so please leave me alone; I just want to sleep. I'm exhausted, tired of this damn awful country, and I don't want to think about anything at all right now."

God: " Hmmm...what country are you referring to?"

Me: "What country do you think?! Nigeria  of-course!’’

God: "Really?? I thought you were quite happy here. Just a few months ago you seemed very pleased about the direction Nigeria was going."

Me: "Yea, I was. But now I'm not so sure. In-fact I am sure. This country isn't going in any flipping direction. We just continue to live in false hope whilst forever going round in circles. I'm sick and tired of this God forsaken country."

God: "Ahhh, there you go with that term again."

Me: "What term?"

God: "God forsaken"


Me: "Yea, well, it's true isn't it?!! Nigeria is more or less God forsaken. Or it may as well be anyway. We never seem to get anything right. Corruption and evil rule the day. Hard working people get pittance for their efforts, and those that do nothing but steal not only behave as if they own the place but are worshipped and adored by those they've stolen from."

God: "But isn't that what Buhari's doing?! Trying to stop corruption?!"

Me: "Yea but.."

God: "But what?"

Me: "Yea, okay, he's fighting corruption and stuff but where's it leading to? There's been very little results."

God: "But what about that NSA chap, and the Defense chief?!

Me: "Yea, fine. But let's see where that leads to. And in the mean time everybody’s suffering - no light, no petrol, and traffic is chaotic because of crazy fuel queues!! Look at how long it took me to get home tonight because of the fuel queue at that roundabout. Everything is so difficult. I'm totally fed up. And to make matters worse these so called leaders go around with their sirens and convoys as if they own the place. Not only are they not doing their jobs, but they're robbing our faces in it with their oppressive behaviour. Absolutely nothing works, and yet these people carry themselves around like Gods."

God: "Yep, you have a good point there. This is indeed a very difficult place to live. In-fact I often wonder how you guys do it."

Me: "Exactly!!! And you wonder why I'm upset?!! And what about that statement by the MD of NNPC about not being a magician?!! Let's not forget that he's also the petroleum minister! It's scandalous that these people behave as though they're doing us a favour. They're there to serve us - end of story. And if they can't perform then they should resign. Petrol queues have now become a part of everyday life. There's no such thing as 'living' in this country. We just exist."

Few minutes silence

God: "But you do realise that it doesn't have to be like this don't you?!"

Me: " What do you mean? It's not as if there's much me or anybody else can do about it."

God: "Well...actually there is."

Me: "What - praying? That's all we ever do in this bloody place. Sorry to swear but I'm just so frustrated and angry with it all."

God: "That's okay. I understand. No need to pretend with me. I much prefer conversing with the real you anyway. Actually I wasn't referring to praying, although I should point out that it's the prayers of millions of Nigerians that has held Nigeria together all these years; what I meant is your power to make a stand - to be heard."

Me: "What do you mean?"

God: "Hmmm....how shall I put this? Let me just say that you and all other Nigerians will continue to suffer so long as you do so in silence."

Me: "Whooaaah, stop right there Lord. You know as well as I do that Buhari is an ex military man. The last thing one wants to do is give him an excuse to have one arrested as a result of being a 'threat to national security'. No thanks."

God: "I'm not saying you should incite violent protests. Not at all. But there is such a thing as a peaceful protest. The problem with you Nigerians is that you're all so self centred. You only care about 'what's in it for me and how it will affect me'. There's no unity of purpose. You showed what you can do when you unite when you voted Buhari in, but unfortunately you've all gone back to your selfish ways- minding your own business and suffering in silence. The only person that still listens to and cares for people even when they're silent is me.
When it comes to human relations the key is to make sure you're heard."

Me: "But I write stuff on my blog. I even had an article published in the newspapers the other day. But nothing ever happens. These guys simply don't listen. Because they have the power they just do whatever they like.

God: "But that's where you're wrong my beloved. They don't have the power. You do. They are your servants, not the other way round. You have the power to ensure that they listen to you. You have the power to dictate what they do and how they perform.

Me: "How?"

God: "How what?"

Me: "How can I make sure they perform?"

God: "You can start with peaceful protests on weekends, so as not to disrupt the working week. You can arrange for signed petitions. You can even have a day in which every man and woman of every faith goes on the street and holds hands - right across the nation - as a show of solidarity. It all begins with the courage and the selflessness to take peaceful action. Trust me, I've been around for a while, and one thing I know for sure is that sitting at home complaining won't get you very far.

Me: "So where do I start?"

God: "Start with yourself - your network of friends - your church - it all begins with just a small step. You start, then leave the rest to me."

Me: "Churches??? Lol...not so sure about churches Lord."

God: "Really?! Why do you say that?"

Me: "Lol...aren't you God??"

God: "lol...yep, that I am."

Me: "Then surely you know that churches are the least likely of places to find selfless people. All we get in Nigerian churches these days is how to make yourself rich and how to be blessed. It's all about me me me. In-fact most churches may as well be blatantly promoting individualism and self centredness."

God: "Hmmmm...you do have a point there; and in truth it's something that's of big concern to me. But there can only be change when you change."

Me: "When I change? What do you mean?"

God: "Nigerian churches will have to change once people realise how much and how unconditionally I love them. They will no longer be able to control people via fear. But that's a discussion for another day. For now I want you to recognise the power that not only lies within you but that (power) which is at your disposal.

The future of Nigeria is in the hands of you and every Nigerian citizen. Unite and find a peaceful but effective way in which to make yourselves heard. Then leave the rest to me."

2 comments:

  1. That's true divine inspiration. No individual or entity can do more than you let them. From infants to national governments, everyone and everything will test their boundaries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true-o. We complain a whole lot be we do very little about it. We simply don't seem to be able to grasp the simple reality that the real power is in our hands. Until we do so Nigeria will continue to go around in circles.

    ReplyDelete

Disqus for iamsegunakande.blogspot.com