Tuesday 15 December 2015

Be True




More than a few people have asked me recently whether or not I'll be writing another political piece soon. Indeed when I received a message from a good friend of mine yesterday evening asking me why there hasn't been a political article from my end recently I was mightily tempted to plough straight into one. But alas, my spirit directed me to do something else - just for you.

I don't usually watch The X Factor (way too scripted and formulated for me), but I thank God I watched last Sunday's final. Three of the guest singers / bands on the show were Rod Stewart - still so marvellously successful in his 70s, Adele - who continues to soar to unimaginable heights of popularity and achievement (heavens me she has a voice!), and Cold Play - in my opinion Britain's most authentic and successful band of the past decade.

All of them - Rod Stewart, Adele, and Chris Martin (Cold Play) were separately asked to offer the two finalists some career advice.

They all gave exactly the same advice;

"Always be true to yourself."

In a world wherein we're constantly told how we should look, talk, walk, and what we should be doing (career wise) the temptation to copy others, or simply adhere to societal norms and general expectations is often overpowering. As a result too many dreams are drowned, too many passions suffocated, and way too much authenticity diluted to the point of decimation.

As my good friend Lanre Olusola said to me a while back;

"One of the biggest problems that exists in Nigeria today is that of the Copy-cat Syndrome."

Too many people spend far too much time and energy trying to be like others. The fact of the matter is that the only person that can be a great Mr. Johnson is Mr. Johnson. So why copy him when you already have so much power, talent, and uniqueness inside you to be a great YOU?!

As we approach the end of 2015 I want to encourage you to do two very important things that will not only enable you to have a fulfilled 2016, but also positively change your life forever.

1. Identify who You are

And

2. Identify what You're passionate about

Once you've done the above, map out an effective plan to actualise your true goals - based on your findings.

I'm sure you've heard successful / famous people say "I'm living the dream". What they actually mean is that they're fulfilling what they were created to do.

There are five keys to actualising your dream;

1. Courage
The courage to not only make a start, but to keep going when everything and everyone around you is telling you that it can't be done.

2. Passion
It's your passion that will keep you going when things get tough.

3. Hard work
There's no substitute for hard work. You've got to put in those hours of building Knowledge and Expertise.

4. Focus
Focus on three things.
- who you are
- how you add value
- how to continuously build and develop

5. Dedication and Perseverance
Your success won't come overnight. There will be moments of doubts, failure, and discouragement. But so long as you know and believe in where you're going, never ever give up. The difference between success and failure is not giving up.

There are thousands of people waiting for you to start being who you were created to be. Their needs are fully reliant on your courageous acceptance and embrace of who you are.

Be True To Yourself.


I've just completed the next five editions of my children's book, so the writing side of my brain is about to implode.lol... As such I'll be off air until the second week of January.

What will I be doing?

Probably watching The Force Awakens as many times as is possible.

In the meantime kindly permit me to wish you and your family the very Safest, Best, and most Happy Christmas and New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus for iamsegunakande.blogspot.com