Thursday 14 May 2015

Hope or Hopelessness?






Let's ponder a little on something that much of the civilised world largely takes for granted. 

Electricity!!!

Electricity, or better still the lack of it has so oppressed us in Nigeria over the years that whenever one is out of town the slightest interference to anything electrical leads one to believe that Nepa has taken light; despite the fact that one is in London, New York, Paris, Dubai, or wherever-else Nigerians travel to. 

I recall sprinting from the train station to my flat in London many years ago in order to catch the beginning of an episode of Eastenders. After a few seconds of frantic running I thought to myself;

"I hope there's diesel in the house, just in case Nepa have taken light." 

Then I remembered with great joy, and tremendous relief that I lived in a land wherein stable electricity is not only the norm but sacrosanct. 

I started writing this article just a few minutes ago, and guess what?! 
Yep, you've guessed it -  Nepa have taken light! Yes yes I know they're known as something else these days, but so long as dilapidated electricity continues to scar our mindsets they will forever be called 'Nepa'. 

I recall a funny story someone told me many years ago. Apparently in the midst of a military coup sometime in the 80s' a steward ran into the sitting room of his boss (a federal minister) to inform him;

"Master, Master, they don take power."

The minister replied, "These Nepa people sha! For how long will they continue to be like this?!"

Funny but sad right?!

Nepa has literally given all and sundry a continuous nervous twitch.

I asked some of my bbm contacts to describe the state of electricity in their area in three words. Below are their replies. Actually before delving into their replies I have to point out an interesting observation. My request was sent to my bbm contacts at about 5.15am. Over 70% of my female bbm contacts replied within 5 minutes. But the boys? Only one!!

Can someone please  tell me why the ladies were awake and very alert, and all but one of the guys were still in lala land? 

Were our ladies all praying or simply washing their hair? Either way, nice one ladies. Proud of you. And thank you. Xxx

Below are some of the remarks;

1. "It is terrible"

2. "What is electricity?"

3. "Disastrous, Annoying, Terrible"

4. "I'll do 2: non existent"

5. "It's Very Bad"

6. "Morn segs. I can do it in two...remarkably bad"

7. "Constant but expensive"

8. "Now getting bad."

9. "Terrible, Unstable and Unreliable."

10. "Hi Segun - I can do it in one " "nonexistent""

11. "Extremely pathetic. We hardly get up to 2 hours power supply in a day on average."

12. "Almost none existent"

13. ""It is ridiculous"

14. "Horrendous nonexistent dead"

15. "Pathetic Pathetic Pathetic"

16. "It is Terrible"

17. "It is shit!"

18. "Could be better"

19. "A bit volatile"

20. "Abysmal, epileptic and just terrible"

21. "Saddening,annoying and pathetic"

22. "Pathetic, ruinous and disheartening"

23. "Unfortunately, I only have 1 word for the state of electricity in my area: Nonexistent. 
We don't get enough light for me to even have another opinion. I suppose I could also squeeze in the word Expensive. On the absolutely rare occasions that we have light, I've often been alarmed by the tarrif."

24. " Never any power. 
150litres of diesel a day, everyday in 2015! No exaggeration-o. That is why many Nigerians find London cheap even at N330 to £1. I tell my wife to live comfortably in Lagos one needs to earn N1m cash every week (N52m per annum £157k) anything less and you're in the rat race-o"

25. "It doesn't exist"

26. "Abysmal, poor, disgraceful. We went 3 days straight without power last week. I suspect it's the same in most parts of the country"

27. "Words elude me..but I will say non existent best describes it."

28. "Pathetic erratic situation"

30. "Non existent, depressing and gloomy"

31. "Extremely bad."

32. "Hi Segs, probably Inconsistent, Incomplete, Disappointing."

33. "I'd say epileptic, unreliable and scarce"



I read recently that the reason for this present calamity is due to vandals and saboteurs.

I am so tired of this preposterous excuse.

Why?

Because it is the government's responsibility to ensure that gas pipelines DO NOT GET VANDALISED. And if they continue to be vandalised under your watch then you must be held accountable. And besides, for how long will these 'sabateurs' continue to go about their business so freely and successfully. Are we really saying that after so many years of sabateouring we still have no idea who they are???

And can someone please tell me what the Discos and Gencos or whatever they're called are actually doing?! So much money was raised, or given in some cases; we were assured of a fairly tangible turnaround within a year to eighteen months. But all we've witnessed so far is the monster of all declines! 

As a result the costs of living, let alone running a business in Nigeria have reached unparalleled levels of discomfort and pain. 

And at the route of it all lies........

So there you have it Mr. President Elect. 

The state of power / electricity in this nation is the worst it's been for over twenty five years. 

Will you be making the types of false promises we heard five / six years ago? Or will you be the first president in this nation's history to finally 'Overpower' Nepa?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus for iamsegunakande.blogspot.com