Thursday 15 October 2015

And Now For Something Completely Different




I was supposed to write this article several weeks ago. In-fact I remember conjuring up several paragraphs in my head as I ran along Boudillon in the middle of a 25km run on a rainy Saturday morning.

My topic?

The mind blowing evolution of Island joggers. 

When lekki and ikoyi residents first started running on the bridge it was mostly a case of jug to the other end and back again, then make your way home. 

How things have changed!

Now you're just as likely to spot  frequent joggers on Boudillon as you are on the bridge. A circuit or two of the bridge is no longer enough. As bodies and lungs have adapted to varying degrees of self torture, most joggers now continuously seek longer and more arduous routes. 


So there I was at the beginning of the Lekki end of the bridge, having already ran about seven kilometers; rain drops falling with increasing speed and intensity (I so love running in the rain. Totally energises me), and effortlessly getting into my rhythm when all of a sudden some tall chap mercilessly whizzes past me; as though I was stationary!! Being ever so slightly competitive I immediately looked up, feeling more than a touch irritated, to see who it was. It was my friend Yemi. I couldn't believe how fast he was running. I thought I was quick, but he left me for dust. Then I remembered that he ran the Madrid marathon earlier this year; and as I'm currently training to do my first marathon next year I decided that trying to catch up with him probably wasn't a good idea. So I slowed down again - telling myself to go at my own pace.

Then  a few minutes later a young female runner whizzes past me. Again, as though I was stationary!! Try as I might to keep calm and go at my own pace I couldn't let this one fly. Plus she had a superb figure and I had no doubt she would be pretty, so this would be a great chance to flex my own skills so to speak. 

But try as I might I simply couldn't catch up with her. All the way along Boudillon to falomo, and back again to the other end of Boudillon; I tried and I tried, but the more I stepped it up the further away she got. Had this lady been sent by my enemies to completely mess with my head? Thereby completely screwing up my run, and hence consigning my whole weekend to one of doubts and torment? Or had Bourdillon wickedly turned into a large mass of treacle?

It wasn't until I had very unsuccessfully attempted to chase her down for about 7km that I realised she was a highly skilled and experienced long distance runner. At least that's what I told myself. 

I could go on and on about the heights and trials of jogging in Lekki and Ikoyi. But all I really want to do is say a big 'Nice One Guys' to all those joggers that have kept going; that have increased in speed and distance, and found a new seemingly healthier addiction.

To that fat bloke that used to slowly and ever so painfully crawl to Ikoyi and back but now jogs at an alarming pace, I say "Nice one sir!".

To Nigeria's latest marathon runners - Temi, Femi, Yemi and co I say "Awesome!"

To those ladies whose figures are getting better by the  second, and who make for riveting sight seeing I say "Chai!!! And thank you!".

To my dear buddy whom I hope to run the Berlin marathon next year with I say "We can do it bro!"

To my dear Emma, who I inform of every increase in distance as soon as I regain my senses I say "I think I can actually do it love!"

And to all aspiring marathon runners I say "Keep going! Next year we'll be in a league of our own!!"

Next stop - Lagos Half Marathon - 21st November!
Lord please make it rain!!!‎!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus for iamsegunakande.blogspot.com