Thursday 22 October 2015

From Frying Pan To Fire?



To give you an idea of what so many people are going through at present, here are some quotes and scenes that I've encountered during the past couple of weeks;

"Mate, I've been in a bad mood for over three weeks. Every night I go to bed in a desperately crappy mood because things are so difficult; and every morning I wake up in the same mood. In-fact my bad mood has gone on so long that it's become normal".

"Segs, everybody is struggling right now. I can't recall a period as bad as this."

"At least when people were chopping money there was a trickle down effect."

"In a few months you'll be seeing rows of empty shelves in most supermarkets as a result of an inability to bring in goods."

"I go to bed by 9pm on most evenings so that I don't think too much. Otherwise I'd go nuts. Going to bed early is now my escape."

"Everywhere just dey kaja (everything is just at a standstill)"

"I'm no longer certain this government knows what it's doing. Whenever I speak with any of their people they just seem totally clueless as to what can get this economy moving again."

"Bro, if this goes on much longer people will hit the streets in protest. I'm not sure how much more people can take."

"I'm even tired of saying next year will be better. We've been saying that since 2008."


A few days ago I visited a client to discuss an impending transaction. On entering his office I found him with head in hands; when I greeted him he lifted his head to reveal bloodshot eyes that only tears of agony can cause. 

Recognising the futility of discussing our transaction at such a time I spent the next forty five minutes trying to encourage him. Little did he know the fears and anxieties that were running through my own mind.

And as for Me?!

Let me just say that a dear new female friend of mine called me out of the blue on Wednesday to say that she when she woke up her spirit urged her to call, in order to pray for and encourage me (so refreshing when you come across someone that isn't just 'me me me'. To coin a phrase from an old Janet Jackson song, most ladies one meets these days are only interested in "what have you done for me lately?!" Lol). I can honestly say her timing was astounding, and her concern most appreciated. 

And finally,  to not mention the diabolical traffic and the alarmingly high level of armed crimes that have shackled Lagosians in chains of frustration, fear, bewilderment, and outright anger, would be insensitivity of the most grotesque proportions. 


I'm not pointing fingers but ever since Fashola left, Lagos no dey work again-o. 


So is this the new Nigeria?

An all-be-it commendable fight against corruption and Boko Haram coupled with non existent economic direction???

What needs to be done to ease our financial pain?

What can be done to get this economy moving again?

Or have we simply jumped from frying pan to fire?

6 comments:

  1. We are all tired and it just seems nothing can be done right now. i just think we should put all our hope on God for a better tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ‎It's funny how people thought ambode would work just becos he and fashola are in the same party. Nigerian never seize to amaze me. I never for 1 day thought Ambode will work

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hummm! I see this as a reminder of what we are currently going through but my fear is the after effect it will cause on the society which we have started to see or experience, such as armed robbery, bad traffic, companies leaving Nigeria, joblessness and so on.

    However, in 2050 India will be the largest population on earth and they are already preparing their future (The Youths) by becoming the number one IT solution hub in the world. what is Nigeria trying to become? Terrorist nation? Speechless!

    Finally - My advice to the government, If you build your kids to succeed, they will become valuable but if you don't build the society they will succeed in, they become vulnerable to attack.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've echoed our thoughts. I always said this government is clueless. And the list of ministers further highlights the cluelessness. At least Jonathan managed to pick a few clues up guys. The list of ministers reads like a rewards list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even more alarming is the apathy of the general populace towards the society as a whole; it is therefore pertinent that the present administration adopt and effectively implement sustainable development goals that benefit the country in the long term.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ‎I am really tired of Nigeria. People say have faith, have faith. Right now I'm willing to join a convent‎. I want insulation from this madness.

    ReplyDelete

Disqus for iamsegunakande.blogspot.com