Friday 9 October 2015

Apology Accepted

I still can't believe it took me one hour and thirty minutes to...sorry I have to repeat it because I'm still struggling to comes to terms with it - One Hour and Thirty Minutes -  to get from Lekki first roundabout to the frigging toll gate. At a point despite the fact I was the one driving I had to step out of my car and take a walk, whilst chatting with other extremely miffed citizens.



I was all set to air my anger today when someone told me that the Vice President apologised for the inconvenience caused by his visit to Lagos. But once I heard about his apology my anger dissipated quicker than the few seconds it takes a Lastma official to trick his way into the car of an unsuspecting traffic offender.

I don't think a President or VP has ever apologised for causing us inconvenience before. So for this refreshingly new experience
‎I am most grateful. 

Apology accepted Mr. Vice President.

But the apology doesn't douse my concern for the chaos that ensues whenever Presidents or Vice Presidents visit Lagos.

Must everything always come to a stand still whenever these guys come into town?? Must their visits always decimate the plans of millions of people going about the daily business?? It's been happening for years; although in all my years in Lagos I don't think I've experienced anything quite as bad as yesterday's madness. 

Surely this absurd disturbance of people's livelihoods can be avoided by simple consideration and planning!?

Of even more concern is the increasing traffic in Lagos State during the past few months. 

Whether it's tanker drivers causing mayhem on Ikorodu road, the snail paced ascent to the international airport, or lekki /ikoyi bridge daily resembling the blackpool tunnel, the fact remains that it's someone's job to make the lives of innocent, hard working citizens a little more comfortable. As if this bleaker than bleak economy isn't enough to deal with!

Why is Lagos so chaotic all of a sudden? And who's to blame?  





1 comment:

  1. The traffic started way before the VP's visit and has lasted long after.

    ReplyDelete

Disqus for iamsegunakande.blogspot.com