Thursday 1 October 2015

An Optimistic Nigeria Independence Day



So I've been sat in a taxi for over an hour, experiencing Lagos's most recent interpretation of incomprehensible go-slow whilst listening to various callers' assessments of Nigeria's progress or lack of during the past 55 years on the radio, and one question continues to  trouble my tired and perturbed mind;

Do I really care?

Sounds a little unpatriotic?



Every 4th July US citizens passionately celebrate being American. Smiles running deep, eyes sincere, and laughter as pure as is possible in today's fatally fallen world. No matter the numerous arrows of criticism we shoot across the Atlantic - be they racial unrest, woeful gun laws, or police brutality, we cannot for one second doubt the pride of the majority of Americans in being....well.. American.

The US is far far far from perfect. Indeed there are often times when I wonder how it can honestly claim to be united. But having said that, Arnie became governor of California, Obama became its first black President, and if the Republican Party's weaker than weak presidential candidates are anything to go by, Hilary Clinton is well set to become the first female president of the world's number one nation.
It's a land of many firsts - where all things are possible. Opportunity at it's greatest.

When the queen of England celebrated her golden jubilee a few years ago I marveled at the manner in which people of all colours and credes celebrated England's second magnificent Elizabeth.

On that day I was proud to be British. Proud to have schooled at Her Majesty's pleasure.
The English are known for being reserved; but on that day, just as in London 2012 we witnessed the pride of being British. 

Being British means doing things properly, wholeheartedly, and always for the common good.

So as I listen to this radio show the question on my mind is;

"What does Nigeria mean to me?"

I asked some of my BBM contacts this very same question.  Here's what they had to say;


"For me, Nigeria is more than a physical location... It gives me a mental and social identity which in my mind makes me special. Most of my aspirations don't exist if Nigeria doesn't exist."

"Home. Opportunity. Of course Nigeria has its bad points which I hate but on the whole this is home, warts and all."

"One thing stands out about this unique country, and that is the unique ability of it's citizens to smile even during trying times. Nigeria to me is home, I love this country."

"I feel no more affinity to a northerner than a Ghanaian beyond nationality."

"Oppurtunity, chaos, amazing people, disorganised."

"Wasted potential mate; and a fickle people."


Me?

I love Nigeria because I'm Nigerian. I love Nigerian people because despite how difficult things can be for us we can still smile, laugh, love, and care for one another.

But can I really say that I'm proudly Nigerian?

This year I believe I can.

Here's why I'm proudly Nigerian this year.

1. I am proud to be a member of an African nation that held largely peaceful and transparent elections.

2. I am proud to be the citizen of an African nation in which an incumbent is democratically and peacefully removed from power.

3. I am proud to be the citizen of the same nation that President Goodluck Jonathan hails from. He accepted defeat and he stepped aside. I am proud of him, and proud to be from the same country as he is.

4. I am proud to hail from a nation in which myself and my fellow citizens have decided to grit our teeth and bear the pain of the present economic situation in order to support and enable our president to lead us to a better future.

A day will come when being Nigerian stands for Authenticity, Love, Unity of Purpose, Professionalism, Productivity, Selflessness, and Service.

And on that day our smiles will run deep, and our laughter will soar. And it will indeed be clear for all to see the pride of being...well..Nigerian.

Till then, rather than celebrate another Independence Day - for in truth there isn't too much to celebrate about the past 55 years - let us take a little comfort in what we have achieved so far this year, and for once look to the future with genuine optimism.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus for iamsegunakande.blogspot.com