Tuesday 19 January 2016

Closing Deals With The Right Sales Strategy



On my way to meet a friend at a shopping mall in London a few weeks ago I was approached by a lady selling exfoliating facial scrub. When she invited me to sit down for a demo, I informed her that I had already spent my shopping money the previous day and was now on a strict budget. She replied that she understood, but still wanted me to sample her product. After giving me a demonstration she told me the price - £80. I was actually quite impressed with the product's effectiveness, but had already made up my mind - no spending. So I informed her again that I was on a strict budget and therefore couldn't afford such an unplanned expense. She continued to say she understood but nevertheless persisted in trying to convince me to change my mind. She even reduced the price to £40. Unfortunately for her I had already made up my mind not to spend a penny. After a while she became visibly irritated; at which point, I politely told her that I was running late to meet my friend and had to go. What was right or wrong with her sales strategy?

4 comments:

  1. She was not listening to you and if i was in her shoes,i will do two things (since you where impressed with her product)which are 1. request to schedule an appointment with you at your convenience and give out my business card for reference purposes.

    Also, she has shown self desperation to make money by reducing the price rather than creating experience to a prospective customers.

    And finally she has lost my interest because of her visible irritation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She did nothing wrong. 1. She was able to convince you to take the demo (That's a good one). 2. She listened and understands your low budget and that's why i felt she reduced the price from the actual market cost. 3. She got irritated because you did not say you didn't have money but a low budget yet noting came out from your pocket. Hummmm! i understand her feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two flaws in her sales strategy were;

    1. Her inability to keep her body language in check.

    2. Her inability to elicit a follow up plan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor lady. The approach didnt work but right or wrong strategy is really subjective here. My thoughts though

    ReplyDelete

Disqus for iamsegunakande.blogspot.com