Friday 10 July 2015

Too Little Too Soon?





After several minutes of ranting about how little this government seems to have done since taking over the reigns of power, a friend of mine suggested I do a mini straw poll to assess other people's views.

And so I did. I asked people the following question;

"How do you think this government is doing?"

Here's what they had to say. 

"This government is a huge disappointment so far".

"Yes, this government may have reduced corruption but something needs to be done to kick start the economy."

"This government's performance so far is terrible. I know we're supposed to give it time but at this rate they'll fare no better than the last one. The economy is at a stand still and the killing keeps getting worse."

"‎There is no policy direction yet cos there are no ministers so country is adrift."

"I don't even know. I can't actually pinpoint anything that's happening. They're not saying anything. I'm just blind to it all."

"Can't say too much yet bcoz we haven't seen a great deal of action or results yet but I believe he is doing a lot to block a lot of the loopholes and conduit pipes thru which ministers usually siphon funds from d respective ministries so by d time d new ministers eventually resume they will have no choice but to just get on with their jobs. I believe things are happening that may not be so obvious yet. D one thing that I wish he had done though was to have at least given d country an indication of his economic direction. There's just too much uncertainty right now bcoz he hasn't done this."

"Too early to tell"

"Terrible."

"I think they are doing OK. It's painful to watch because it isn't what we expected. We wanted more drama."

"I think they're settling in. I feel the clamour. I think this government needs time to adjust and adopt a strategy that will work.  Demand for immediate 'change' is premature. I don't think what we want to see can happen in a month or even a year. Real change is gradual and has to be aided. Afterall, Buhari can't wave a magic wand and sort out our problems. They're too intricate for even the most seasoned 'fairy god-mothers/fathers'"

"I think they've got off to a slightly shaky start. 
Politics is getting in the way of proactive problem-solving in my opinion.Unfortunately it doesn't look like the NASS crisis will be resolved anytime soon. Which even more delays proper governance."

"Buhari will do well, he's just surprised by the rot, extent of stealing and how very few people around him are clean. As a military man I'm sure he wants to exact extreme corporal punishment (death) I suspect that is what is delaying him... he also realises he must recover stolen money. A big task, but he successfully ran NNPC and PTF back in the day so he knows the business. But he has to recover from the shock of what the past government did and stop his instinct of killing them. I know I would. Heads would roll oh. When Gerry Rawlings became head of state. His army boys gave him a list of names to exterminate. He pruned the list, saying it was too long. But now he says some of the problems Ghana is experiencing now are names he crossed off the list. Killing people Or severe incarceration sends a clear message and people will return money fast. Buhari knows that, this is a real test for him as he now says he is a converted democrat. He'll do fine, he has to make deals with thieves. It's the only way. People are suffering in Nigeria, children are dying from malnutrition and common ailments. Whilst people steal more money than they know what to do with. They are literally taking food and the future from millions of Nigerian kids. When you think of it that way, wouldn't you want to kill them? I can taste blood bro. That is how our President thinks oh, that is his instinct."

"I think it's too early to tell."

"I'm still watching. I feel he is doing the right thing though i.e laying the right foundations so that by the time he builds on it, it will be something that can last. It's just that Nigerians are too impatient. They want instant solutions and that he cannot give now."

"Hard to say, but certainly slow..."

"Egbon mi, this government is sleeping o! We don't know where we are heading exactly, majority of the people that voted in this government are beginning to have a second thought. Im aware that there are so many challenges that they have to deal with but the populace is left wondering what the plans are and we are not being engaged (no communication). I for one would have loved to see some positives at least to say to the doubters of this government "I told you" "

"Not doing badly bcos of Enormous challenges left by last administration. D crisis in Nass is a minus. 
Things will get better soon."

"We don't expect a broken nation to be fixed in less than 2months. I'm yet to see what they are doing but I'm very happy to give them time. 
If I was given 6 months to prove myself at my work place, our government officials should be given enough time as well."

"Can't comment yet my brother...still observing."

"It's still too early to say. I'm just hoping they don't disappoint."

"This government is not doing anything we can see yet. I know so much is being done at the back door because the past government destroyed our economy. I'm just patient and hopeful that this 'CHANGE' will come soon. For now, I can't see anything."

"It seems they are slow sha? But I may not be in a position to judge as I haven't been following their activities as such."

"What's there to think about?"

"Nothing so far?"

"I know both me personally and our business are worse off. If a government cannot at least maintain status quo, especially when they came in on a promise of improving lives, then we have a problem. They remain the lesser of two evils but certainly not good enough right now, which will justify the call for change once again. 
When we get to October they will start saying it won't get better for another year. What I'm seeing is they don't even have a plan that will assure improvements by October. There are a few things they are doing that are making things worse and no sign of improving or changing them."

"First, d bungalow needs to be demolished and the new team moves in to start construction, the preliminaries will take almost as long as the main construction. That's what I believe is happening. No wise leader should jump into anything. I believe things dont have to be this slow too, but then again, i dont believe putting together a team is an easy task. We truly need patience and we have to keep praying that God guides our leaders aright. And we must not lose hope that things infact will get better, the only price we'll have to pay is in the wait."

"The country hasn't collapsed so they must be doing something. With the economy, assuming cbn is fully aligned with the govt they are setting off alarm bells, I understand the need to protect the naira but we're heading for currency controls next. I just heard that banks will no longer sell pta to clients. 
With electricity we've just finished a 2 week run of daily phcn averaging 8 hours a day. Last weekend it was 24 hours, I kid you not! Is that the govt or rainy season filling kainji dam? 
Security I'm worried. GMB I expected to take full control of BH but now we're seeing a change in tactics, suicide bombings and no clear response from govt on how to deal. And he's broken his promise with bringing back the girls. He should NOT negotiate with BH, not with all the blood they have shed. 
Cabinet, i'll wait but he needs to be quick, capital markets remain jittery and investors are staying away for now. I'm also not sure how the GMB / APC dynamic is going to pan out, we'll see"

"Nothing is happening!!! Also everyone so far have been northern!."

"Slow. cautious. Victims of their Philosophy. They came together as COMRADES with a common Goal to FIGHT and DEFEAT a common enemy. Now that they've achieved that COMRADES will turn against each other FIGHT and DEFEAT each other because that's what COMRADES do FIGHT WARS."

"If you had asked me this 2 weeks ago, I would have told you "the guy needs to start acting. The honeymoon is over. Then someone sent the following to me: 
'Buhari is slow. Buhari is slow....Refineries: Refineries are about to start full operation. Buhari is slow....Subsidy: Oil Marketers have fallen in line. Buhari is slow....Wastage: He has ordered the sales of Presidential jets. Buhari is slow.....Indiscipline: Saraki is fidgetting because of fear of unknown. Buhari is slow....Anti-Corruption: Jonathanians have started returning their loots. Buhari is slow....Security: Buhari has released over N4billion to fight Boko Haram. Buhari is slow....Accountability: Buhari has ordered for statement of bank accounts of all federal ministries. Buhari is slow....Synergism: He has visited not less than 10 countries all in a bid to nip Boko Haram in the bud. Left to me, I prefer this type of slowliness to hastiness without direction. So, Baba make you just dey go slooooowly slooooowly sloooowly like that jare. Do it right!' "


"Nothing's happening and there's silence. Nothing happening - not too worried about that; it's no different from before. Silence however gives some mild concern - leadership needs to be visible; the government needs to pro-actively communicate with the people. If this current situation goes on another month plus, then i'll be quite concerned. Again, in the absence of communication, it's rational to think the worst especially in our environment. 
Someone's described the current communications style... "no narrative, no messaging; military public info model..."

"Still below par"


So there you have it. A mixed bag of reactions. 

Me? 

I'm torn between flesh and objectivity. Let me give a little example of what I mean.

A few days ago I went home a little earlier than usual in order to watch Stan Wawrinka battle it out with Richard Gasquet in the Wimbledon Men's Quarter Final (and what an awesome game that proved to be!!). But on getting home and switching on the tv I simply couldn't concentrate. 

Why? 

Because my mind was somewhat troubled by the effect the economy is having on my business. In fact so troubled was my mind that after a few minutes of very shallow viewing I switched off the tv and proceeded to stare at the wall for about twenty minutes contemplating how to survive. 

As a business owner I want nothing more than for someone to kick-start the economy; for banks to start lending again, and for State Governments' to start spending. 

But then my head reminds me of something my late father told me many years ago. He said;

"For this nation to prosper again we must all be prepared for a period of some discomfort."

I sense a very fierce tussle going on - for the nature of future governance in this country. The outcome of this tussle will determine whether or not we head in the direction of Good Governance and Transparency, or once and for all in the direction of Corruption. 

Should this government do things in half measures so as to please our bellies as well,  then surely it is only a matter of time before we're once more in corruption's deathly grip. 

So we need to ask ourselves two simple questions. 

Do we want some alleviation from this current pain now - even if it means the government ends up doing things in half measures?

Or are we willing to bear a period of pain for the sake of a stable and prosperous future?

Your answer doesn't make you right or wrong, anymore than it makes you good or bad.

My main grouse with this government is the lack of Communication. 

Why is it that African governments' are so poor when it comes to communicating with the people that put them there? 

I just don't get it. 

Is it arrogance, or just plain lack of understanding?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus for iamsegunakande.blogspot.com