Thursday 23 July 2015

There's No Substitute For Knowledge And Professionalism













On my walk to St. Paul's tube station after meeting with a client in the city I was approached by a gentleman who was raising money for Cancer Research. He gave me a brief synopsis of the damage that cancer is doing to the world and what his organisation was trying to do about it. Needless to say the bottom line is cash, so it was of no surprise to me that he closed with “so how much will you be donating per month?"


So as not to seem uncaring or insensitive I reluctantly agreed to £5 a month, gave him my bank details and moved on - £60 a year poorer.


Literally one hundred yards further I was approached by another cancer research person. Except this time it was a young lady, and she was absolutely gorgeous, so I was more than happy to stop; and despite the fact I'd already heard everything she was about to say to me I didn't mind hearing it all over again. But she was even more knowledgeable and even more professional.


There was a raging battle going on in my mind as she spoke. I desperately wanted to ask her for her number but she was so Focussed and Professional that it just didn't seem right. So to cut a long story short I agreed to donate an additional £10 a month and walked off without her number, a further £120 a year poorer.


Why didn't I ask for her number?


1. Despite the fact she was gorgeous she struck me as a Serious and Focussed person


2. She was very knowledgeable


3. She was extremely Professional in her mannerisms


Yes, I know that I may be a more reasonable person than some of the characters Sales people come across, but in my view you stand a far better chance of avoiding sexual harassment if you adhere to the following;


1. Knowledge

Ensure you're extremely knowledgeable about Who You Are, What You Do, The Company You Work For, What You're Selling, and How You Can Add Value


Note - there is a world of difference between walking into someone's office in the knowledge of how you can add value, and walking in intending to ask or beg them for a favour.


Once an unreasonable prospect knows that you have nothing to stand on but a request for a favour you're in all manner of trouble, and hence prey to unwelcome advances.


2. Professionalism


Professionalism covers many aspects - your dress style, your mannerisms, the way you speak, and even the way you walk. It also relates to your entire approach - from the first phone call to the first handshake to your demeanour during that first meeting.


Ask yourself these questions.


1. Who Am I?


2. How Do I Add Value?


3. Am I Knowledgeable Enough In My Chosen Field?

* And if you're not then do the necessary hard graft to build up your knowledge.


4. What kind of Perception / Image do I want to convey?


There are of-course some extremes out there, but generally speaking if you adhere to the above you stand a far better chance of avoiding unacceptable behaviour.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus for iamsegunakande.blogspot.com