Friday 5 June 2015

Much Ado About Natta



 It's been one of those weeks - either been in unadulterated work mode - training course delegates by day, or glued to my favourite new series - Wolf Hall (an intriguing depiction of the rise of Thomas Cromwell during the period of Henry VIII's numerous shenanigans) by night.

All else has been a faint and distant blur at best.

Hence not too surprising that I had to ask my colleague what to write about this week. But so as not to sound completely clueless I attempted to pose my question subtly.

"What have people been talking about this week"? I enquired.

"Sorry, not sure I understand what you mean," she replied.

"What's on people's minds? What's the topic of the moment?" I said, praying that she wouldn't say petrol or electricity (last thing I want to do today is bore you about the lack of petrol and electricity again).

"Ahh, okay, hmmm....the hot topic of the past few days is The First Lady's watch."

"What about it?" I asked.

"There's a picture of her wearing a NGN10 million watch a day after the inauguration. So some people are saying that the looting has already began; whilst others are wondering how Buhari can claim to be a man for the masses and yet have a wife that wears a NGN10 million (£34,000) watch."

Me? I'm in two minds about this one.

A part of me thinks 'She's a business woman and so can probably afford it.'

Whilst another part of me struggles to imagine why the president's wife bought a £34,000 watch. The words 'not in their character' come to mind.

But let's get one thing straight; the watch was obviously purchased before GMB's inauguration, so all suggestions of looting should be ridiculed and scoffed at.

In the UK the political scene often refers to the summer period as the 'Silly Season'; due to there being little or nothing to write about as a result of parliament being in recess, the press is forced to dig up the most absurd and irrelevant stories.

After several months of tension, drama, and intrigue, it's no surprise the week after the inauguration has been so quiet.
I guess we're currently experiencing our own Silly Season.

In short, for me this story is a total non- starter; none of our business.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus for iamsegunakande.blogspot.com