Thursday 9 April 2015

Let's Finish What We Started



Kitted out in khaki shorts, T shirt, baseball cap, and armed with the music on my iphone I felt more than well prepared for my walk from Oniru to Victoria Island; and in anticipation of an 8am start I left home at 7.15am.

But nothing could have prepared me for the cynical internal voices that screamed at me during my 55 minute walk to VI (about 4km).

"What's the point?! Your vote won't count anyway!"

"What if something bad happens to you on the way? It's not safe. Go back home before it's too late."

"Change?! What Change??? There can never be Change in Nigeria. Stop dreaming. The same people will still win and continue to do as they please. Just go home."

Fortunately the Christian rock music I was listening to energised and encouraged me enough to keep going.


As I chatted with people on the queue whilst waiting for accreditation, I sensed that I was about to be part of a momentous event in Nigeria's history. People had walked to that polling station from as far as Chevron (about 9km), and even Yaba (about 17km).

The determination and perseverance of my fellow brothers and sisters drew freely from the well of emotion that had built up inside me as I remembered a phrase that the Holy Spirit had given me several months ago;

"Successful Nations Are Built On The Attitude of Their People."

For the very first time I sense we're waking up to the reality  that we must play our role in rebuilding this nation.

But it isn't over. Our current assignment is not yet done. For this weekend we must Elect Our Governors.

Below are some of the Attitudes That Lead To Impoverished Nations

"I'm not going to bother because they're all the same."

"I'm not going to bother because my vote won't count"

"I'm too tired! I'll use the opportunity to just chill at home today"

"The outcome will have no bearing on my life so why bother?! All that really matters is my career, my walk with God, and my personal success."

Notice something about all the above statements?

The words 'I' and 'Me' are a major underlying current.

'I' and 'Me' have no part in the Building of A Successful Nation.

We're human, and in truth most of us want some form of personal success and glory.

But real Success and Glory lies in placing the interests of others before yours.

Let's Make Our Votes Count Peacefully, Fairly, and Transparently on Saturday, 11th April.

Let's continue to pray for Peace, Love and Unity to Reign in Nigeria.

Let's Finish What We Started




2 comments:

  1. I don't blame people who think their votes won't count s we have experienced this in the past. However, I will indulge us to believe in this new change and embrace it. Go out and make this last lap count.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just reading this article today and I must say that the events that occurred on Saturday the 11th are things that make Nigerians stay back in their houses and not vote. However, we thank God that it did not escalate than that. Looking forward to a better Nigeria.

    ReplyDelete

Disqus for iamsegunakande.blogspot.com